The Exceptional Opportunities Fund is designed for those very few instances when an exceptional research opportunity would be missed if a project had to wait to undergo the normal course of a national competition before a decision could be rendered.
While most infrastructure projects require significant time to develop from conceptualization to implementation, there are rare instances where an exceptional research opportunity could be missed if it had to follow our regular national competition processes.
The Exceptional Opportunities Fund is designed to assist institutions and their partners in seizing such unique opportunities. We expect to consider very few projects under this fund.
To qualify for this funding opportunity, a project must meet the following requirements:
- It must take advantage of an exceptional and time-sensitive opportunity and partnership that justifies having the project considered outside the normal pan-Canadian competitive review process.
- It requires the coordination and financial support of other relevant agencies for the funding of the research, the infrastructure and its operations in a timely manner.
- The infrastructure component must be an indispensable element of the project.
Projects that have already been reviewed, in whole or in part, by the CFI are not eligible.
The CFI will fund a maximum of 40 percent of the total eligible costs of the infrastructure project. The remainder must be provided by the institution(s) and/or eligible funding partners.
Institutions should first approach the CFI to discuss eligibility.
The application process has two steps:
- The institution submits a Notice of Intent that addresses the exceptional opportunity, the significance of the partnership and the urgency for funding outside the CFI’s normal processes. A multidisciplinary committee will review the Notice of Intent and recommend whether the CFI Board should invite a proposal.
- The institution submits a proposal upon invitation. The review process will be tailored to the nature and complexity of the proposal.