15 Institutions Get $8 Million Boost for World-Class Innovation

January 21, 1999

OTTAWA, January 21, 1999…Dr. David W. Strangway, President and CEO of the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI), today announced an investment of $8 million under two funding mechanisms to help strengthen the capability for world-class research and technology development at 15 Canadian universities and research institutions. 

Under the Research Development Fund, the CFI approved an investment of $7.4 million for 21 awards in 13 universities. These awards are designed to help strengthen the research environment at institutions that receive less than 1 percent of the annual total in sponsored research at Canadian universities. The CFI investment will enable more than 83 researchers in these universities to have access to the advanced equipment and facilities they need to undertake leading-edge research.
"The Research Development Fund awards represent a tremendous boost to the research capability of these universities," said Dr. Strangway. "These awards are not only a strategic investment in research and in the training of young Canadians for research and other innovation-driven careers, they support the development of world-class research expertise in many smaller Canadian communities." 

Under New Opportunities, the CFI also approved three awards totalling $600,000 in two institutions. Designed to provide infrastructure to new faculty, this program helps attract and retain high-quality researchers in Canadian universities. The CFI support is targeted at a wide range of infrastructure projects in the areas of health, science, engineering, and environment. The projects include: research infrastructure for cool-climate oenology and the establishment of a viticulture institute; facilities used to develop innovative sewage treatment technologies; and specialized wind tunnels to study de-icing processes and their impact on the transport industry. 

The CFI's first awards were announced in August 1998. Today's announcement brings the total CFI investment in infrastructure projects to $66 million, representing 345 awards in 43 universities and research institutions. All projects are funded according to a formula where the CFI supports 40 percent of the costs, while partners from the public, private, and voluntary sectors support the remaining 60 percent. Based on the funding formula, the CFI partners have so far contributed $99 million to infrastructure projects in universities and research institutions. 

"To date, the CFI and its partners are investing $165 million to develop new state-of-the-art infrastructure or to strengthen existing ones," said Dr. Strangway. "Among partners, provincial governments have played a critical role by matching the CFI's contributions. The partnership with the provinces not only highlights the importance of strengthening the capability of local institutions for world-class research, but it reflects the provinces' own strategic vision of the future." 

Investment in research infrastructure in
Canadian universities and research institutions

Partner contributions include:

Provincial governments - $66 million
0ther partners - $33 million 

The CFI is an independent, not-for-profit corporation established in May 1997 with a contribution of $800 million from the Government of Canada. The Foundation's mandate is to invest in infrastructure for research and development in Canadian universities, colleges, hospitals, and other not-for-profit research institutions. The CFI's investments are made in partnership with the private and voluntary sectors, as well as with all levels of government. Through these partnerships, the CFI has the potential to trigger about $2 billion in investment in research infrastructure. 

 Research Development Fund

Institution Awards
Acadia 1
Brock 1
Lakehead 5
Moncton 2
New Brunswick 2
Nova Scotia Agricultural College 3
Regina 1
Royal Roads 1
Télé-Université 1
Trent University 1
UQ à Chicoutimi 1
UQ à Trois Rivières 1
Wilfrid Laurier 1


Following its established funding formula, the CFI supports 40 percent of the eligible costs of a project. The CFI investment of $7.4 million, and the partner contributions to the Research Development Fund, represent approximately $18.5 million in new research infrastructure in institutions that receive less than 1 percent of the annual total in sponsored research at Canadian universities. The Research Development Fund amounts are allocated as follows: 57 percent in science, 19 percent in engineering, 5 percent in health, and 19 percent in environment. Since none of the universities eligible for this funding has a medical school, relatively few proposals were submitted in the area of health. 

New Opportunities

Institution Awards
Institut national de recherche scientifique 2
Université de Montréal 1