At its November meeting, the Board of Directors of the Canada Foundation for Innovation adopted a road map that outlines the strategic direction of the CFI as it looks ahead at the changing needs of Canada’s research enterprise. This road map is an evolution of the strategic plan for the use of $600 million from the 2009 federal budget allocation, which was adopted in 2010. It also builds on the various evaluations, consultations and stakeholder surveys the CFI has conducted over the past few years. At this time, the CFI is seeking comments and feedback on this road map.
The road map looks at the role the CFI plays in supporting Canada’s research enterprise and looks at the evolving environment in which it now operates. It examines the CFI mandate — to support world-class research, world-class talent and world-class innovation — and proposes a number of strategic directions, including:
- Investing in the highest levels of excellence;
- Sustaining and enhancing the capacity of Canada’s research enterprise;
- Forging productive partnerships;
- Building global influence.
The CFI road map also aims to chart the evolution of the organization by identifying areas where the CFI could shift its approach and application in order to respond to the current and anticipated needs of the research community — and of the country. The shifts explored in the document fall into three categories:
- Applying the principle of excellence across a broader spectrum of infrastructure funding.
- Supporting the full spectrum of research, from discovery to innovation.
- Working together to consult, coordinate, collaborate and communicate.
The road map is available online. The CFI will be holding webinars on January 17 and 18, 2012, to present the road map and answer any questions you may have. We will send registration information early in the new year.
Please note that the deadline to submit comments on the CFI’s proposed road map is February 16, 2012. All feedback will be communicated to the CFI Board of Directors at its March 2012 meeting.
The CFI wishes you all the best this holiday season. We look forward to working with you in 2012.
- Download CFI Strategic Roadmap 2012-17 (PDF)